Established in November 2010, the not-for-profit OpenNI consortium was formed to promote and standardize the compatibility and interoperability of Natural Interaction (NI), devices, applications and middleware. Today, OpenNI is the largest 3D sensing development framework and community. Its open source SDK is the recognized standard for developing computer vision middleware and 3D solutions.
The OpenNI community provides developers with a full range of software tools along with a vivid ecosystem platform for effective collaboration and promotion that address the complete development lifecycle: Discovery, Development and Distribution.
Discover — Setting the standard framework for 3D sensing development, on a monthly basis over 85,000 OpenNI SDKs are downloaded. On OpenNI you’ll find everything you need to develop using 3D sensing technology including support, resources, tutorials, software, middleware libraries, applications and an active matchmaking platform.
Develop — OpenNI provides developers with an open source platform enabling them to develop Natural Interaction middleware and applications for markets such as robotics, TV and gaming, computers, mobile devices, healthcare, industry, interactive displays, retail and many others via the OpenNI SDK 2. Download it now — the possibilities are infinite.
Distribute — OpenNI provides developers a marketing platform to showcase your innovations. Our extensive ecosystem of partners gives you the kind of exposure that unlocks new opportunities.
On the OpenNI website you’ll be able to…
- Get a set of APIs for writing 3D sensing applications that facilitates communication with low-level devices including vision and audio sensors
- Utilize high-level middleware solutions such as those used for visual tracking using computer vision
- Join a vivid community of tens of thousands developers and get access to a wide range of valuable resources
- Find solution partners via the matchmaking arena for your project’s needs
- Showcase your project for the world and potential commercial partners to see
OpenNI SDK 2 Architecture
Primary advantages of OpenNI SDK 2:
- Supports latest generations of 3D Sensors (Short range,…)
- Easier for development: Clean and improved design and API
- Simpler distribution: private copy of OpenNI and NiTE for each application
- More flexible: depth units control, exposure control, etc.
- More open: Middleware API are separate for each library
- Better and simplified multi-sensor support
- Allows event-driven programming
- Better backwards compatibility
- Large offer of third party Middleware Libraries: Body Tracking, 3D Reconstruction, Object Recognition, Analytics, and many more.